Nowadays nearly everybody agrees that natural and whole foods are better than processed and refined for good health. We got that. But opinions really vary on whether an entirely raw food diet is the optimal choice or whether cooked food can be better in some cases. I definitely believe we should all eat mostly raw but that we also can benefit from the best of cooked food too.
Why Fresh is Best
The number one reason to eat mostly fresh, raw food is the life force in it. What do I mean by that? Well, humans are electrical beings constantly seeking a renewal of energy. Every time I take a deep breath, I’m getting electricity. Every time I get out in the sun, my skin is a solar panel absorbing electricity. And every time I start to chew, I stimulate electrical forces in my body, including peristaltic action for digesting food.
When food is fresh, it has a higher level of electrical energy available to the body. This can even be shown through Kirlian photography, which is able to capture a visual image of the energy aura around living things. If you photograph something like a fresh peach, strawberry or spinach leaf—you can actually see the electrical current coming off it. This energy is a major component we’re getting when we eat raw food, along with vitamins, minerals, fiber and other things we need.
Fresh, raw fruits and vegetables are also easier to digest because they contain their own digestive enzymes. These are killed whenever we heat food above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This isn’t necessarily a problem because our bodies can also produce digestive enzymes, but cooked food requires the digestive system to work harder—use more energy—to do the job.
When and How to Cook
On the other hand, cooking food can actually increase the bioavailability of some nutrients we need. For example, when you cook a tomato, you increase the concentration of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. When you cook carrots, you soften the cell walls, making beta-carotene more easily assimilated as vitamin A.
The ancient Egyptians had a rule of thumb—or hand—about when we should cook foods. They believed that if you could crush it with your hands—as with oranges and apples—you should eat it raw. If you couldn’t squeeze the juice out by hand—as with carrots or broccoli—you should cook it to digest it properly.
That makes sense to me.
Of course, some cooking methods are better than others to retain the nutrition in foods. Steaming and baking are better than frying in oil because some oils actually become toxic and release free radicals under high heat. (If you want to lightly stir-fry vegetables, use olive or coconut oil.) Legumes like beans and lentils can be soaked a day or two and then rinsed and cooked in just 10–15 minutes once they’re softened. They’ve been prepared this way for thousands of years as an amazing, balanced source of protein, carbohydrates and other nutrients.
Fresh Until Five
My personal philosophy is summed up as “raw and fresh until five o’clock.” I eat only fresh fruits or easily digestible foods first thing in the morning because the body is in a detoxification process. Once lunch rolls around, I add denser foods like salads, wraps and sandwiches—on sprouted-grain breads. At dinner I eat some cooked foods: steamed vegetables, a baked potato or hot soup (maybe along with a salad).
So overall, I’m convinced that a diet of 60–80 percent raw foods—optimally toward 80 percent—is healthiest, with the remaining cooked portion still coming from natural, whole foods. I hope that helps establish a compromise in the raw vs. cooked controversy.
What’s Hot On Facebook!
Thyroid Healing & Rebuilding Protocol
Out of all the clients I have worked with over the years the Thyroid is one of the glands that seems to be a common theme of having issues to some degree. Here I wish to provide the information to once and for all help people with Hashimoto’s and general thyroid problems to heal. This needs to be an ongoing process and will generally take 3-6 months to have full recovery of the Thyroid gland.
This protocol is to facilitate the rebuilding of the thyroid gland. The most common symptoms are fatigue, depression, weight gain, hair loss and intolerance to cold.
But can also include any one or a combination of the following; loss of appetite, lower than normal heart rate, painful menstrual periods, muscle cramps and weakness, dry and scaly skin, yellow-orange coloration in the palms, yellow bumps on the eyelids, migraines, constipation, goiter (a swelling of the thyroid gland), drooping and/or swollen eyes, hoarseness, and recurrent infections (especially respiratory). A simple blood test to measure your levels of thyroid hormone or thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) can be done by your doctor (if you trust them not to pressure you onto a lifetime of drugs) to determine if you actually have an under-functioning thyroid.
(1) Stop all alcohol, caffeine (or drastically reduce) and tobacco use as well as food abuse (overeating of foods, especially processed foods) as they will lower your immunity even further and may well be a part of the root cause of your health problems. It is impractical to expect regeneration of the physical mind and body if we continue to abuse them with unhealthy practices. (I know this will be tough for some, but it will be worth it and it’s only a short time in the scheme of things to let your body adjust and heal)
(2) Omega Oils and essential fatty acids are also necessary for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Add Flaxseeds (freshly ground) best and or sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds to an oatmeal or simply throw them into your smoothie for all the Omega’s your body wants!!
(3) Remove the consumption of most animal proteins (meat, process milk and cheese, chicken and fish (fish may be 1 of the main causes because of thyroid issues because of mercury toxicity) and processed sugars whether in food or drink Whole fruits are great. If you are worried that you won't get enough protein, then add lentil soup, tempeh into your salads and a variety of nuts and seeds. Eat only vegetables, greens, nuts, seeds and fruit. Raw organic carrots and apples and/or their juices are very good for removing toxins and adding anti-oxidants and much more. Get Mega doses of Enzymes and good probiotic bacteria (from Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, Yoghurts made from (coconut or nuts) on an empty stomach will enhance circulation and boost your overall immunity to pathogens. Take Bromelain (in the form of Pineapple) Pineapple also looks like the thyroid and is known to target this organ for healing.
(4) Drink filtered or non-chlorinated and non-fluorinated water (8-12 glasses per day).
(5) Get to bed by 10:30 pm even if you don’t go to sleep immediately. You can rest and relax or read until sleeps comes. If you require a sleep aid, try taking a hot salt bath with lavender essential oils. This ritual will start to get you to sleep fast when done regularly
(6) Add Spinach, tempeh and seaweed into your diet to boost Triptophane.
(7) Iodine is the basic substance of thyroid hormone and acute iodine deficiency is very prevalent in modern cultures. Mushrooms and seaweed are some of your greatest sources, my father (Don Tolman) has had 2 women in the last year regrow their thyroid from eating 1 cup a day. Iodine is not only essential for proper thyroid function, but is also critical for normal heart rhythm.
(8) Selenium is one of the most vital and potent antioxidants for protecting and healing the immune system. Add a handful of brazil nuts and or sunflower seeds into your oatmeal or just eat plain.
(9) Getting many of your B Vitamins from sprouts in a salad will help to uptake the Iodine. Here are some recipes you can add sprouts to.
(10) Put aside stressful situations in your life and past traumas behind you (forgive others and yourself and move on), as stress alone can accelerate thyroid fatigue. Focus on a positive outlook with healing your body, mind, and spirit as a priority. Research has shown that meditation, which puts the mind, body, and spirit into balance will start to have some major healing effects, I recommend starting with 5 min of silent still meditation (sit down like a yogi, shut up and don’t move for 5 min Take afew deep breathes to relax and then focus on your breathing. Do not move (except to swallow) even if bugs are crawling on you. Just learn to observe and sit for 5 min. non-attatched to the physical body. After a week then do 10 min, then build upto 15 min. Do this 2x per day and you will start to notice the effects during other situations in your day. Also start to breath deeply anytime you notice stress or stressfull people enter your space. Start to look at situations from a 3rd person perspective and think before you react. De-stressing alone may cure this problem
(11) Our bodies desperately need Vitamin D (actually a Hormone) to balance the glands of the body. So make sure you sunbake for 20-30 min 3-5x a week for optimal Vitamin D. Don’t buy into Supplements that do not work the same as what your body produces with sunshine. Follow these protocols for 60-90 days and I assure you your Thyroid and overall health for that matter will be LOVING YOU!!
Here is a great smoothie to throw them into:
- I would have a big green smoothie for Lunch:
- 1 cut apple
- 1 stick celery
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cucumber
- big hand full of greens (spinach, kale or silverbeet)
- 3-4 banana's
- 5-8 dates
- fill blender 1/2 way with water (I use coconut water)
- and blend... this is typically enough for 2 people.
The road to health Doesn't look to appealing to many at first, but I promise you will find ecstasy in it!!
Thanks for reading and sharing
Tyler Tolman TT
Connect with me on Facebook
Upcoming Events:December: Heal Thy Self At Home
Greetings Conscious Lifestylers!
We are proud to offer an incredible self-healing journey that can be done right from the comforts of home!
Heal Thy Self At Home is a 13 week adventure that will radically transform your health, helping to heal your body significantly in the process! Heal Thy Self At Home has been designed with you in mind: we understand that not everybody can come out to Bali when they like, so we decided to create this program so that you can still receive the wonderful benefits!
Based on the Tolman Health Philosophy, this online platform has been designed to run over 13 weeks to give you all the education and wisdom you need in relation to your health, in order for you to take your mind, body, and soul to the next level!
This is a step-by-step program that over 13 weeks, will involve group coaching calls with me, activities for you to undertake, and an enlightening library of education, videos, information sheets, powerful recipes, daily guides, and everything else that’s required for you to transform your health—and your life!
During this course, you will also be exposed to raw food diets, colon cleanses, and fasting. Everything and anything you ever needed to know regarding a healthy lifestyle, is contained in the 13 Week Heal Thy Self At Home program!
Click here to book your adventure today
Ask Tyler a Question!Got a health issue you would love some Tolman wisdom on?
Every week I will be recording answers to the most pressing health Questions I have and emailing it to my followers every Monday! Just submit your question below, make sure your signed up through my website and watch your inbox to see if your Q was Answered!